Wednesday, July 18, 2012

making words and ten important words plus

The ten important words plus activity describes in the article by Yopp and Yopp is genius. I think this activity is unique and outstanding because of all the different strategies it incorporates for learning vocabulary words - reading them, recording them, talking about them, using them in their written summaries, and thinking about them in alternative ways (Yopp and Yopp, 2007). It's common knowledge that repeated exposure to an unfamiliar word will help students to eventually learn the word, but this article incorporates repeated exposure with multiple types of exposure. I honestly would not change anything about the activity and I see myself trying to use it in my classroom someday for sure. I also really love the Making Words activity discussed by Cunningham and Cunningham. Playing the game in class was a blast and I'll definitely be using it in my classroom on a daily basis. I loved both of the articles this week because they provided practical ideas that I will use in my classroom.


Check out this website for some more fun word building activity ideas...
 http://www.reading-activities.com/word_building__activities

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved this idea too! I love how there are so many important ways of learning incorporated into one activity. I definitely think that when a child is exposed to a word multiple times, they will learn it easier and be able to recognize that word in other circumstances.

    ReplyDelete