Wednesday, July 25, 2012

teaching comprehension

I've always known that it's very important to teach students comprehension skills, but the thought of having to teach such skills makes me nervous. I struggled with comprehension my whole life and I never had someone explicitly teach me the skills for how to comprehend text. The article by Pardo explores every single aspect of teaching comprehension and the information was very eye opening to me. I never realized how insanely complicated the process of comprehension is until I read this article. I'm nervous about being able to teach my students how to comprehend text because it is such a difficult thing to teach. However, I am thankful that all the readings this week gave me some great ideas as to how I can incorporate teaching comprehension skills in my classroom.
Has anyone else ever felt nervous about being able to successfully teach comprehension?

Here are some cute comprehension games that can be played with elementary students.
http://www.education.com/activity/comprehension/

1 comment:

  1. Before last class, I had never taken the time to think about how students comprehend information. However, after the activities we did, I can see that teaching and assessing comprehension can be a lot harder than it looks! Like you, this makes me a bit nervous, but, now that I am aware of a few good and bad comprehension tests, I feel as though I can be more successful in assessing my students.

    ReplyDelete